There are quite a few ways to upload a file to your server at InMotion Hosting. How you upload your files will depend on your preference and your accessibility to the server. In this tutorial, we will explain how to upload a file using the File Manager, FileZilla, and Notepad++. We assume that you know where within your account you need to upload your files. If you’re not sure however, please see our article entitled What directory should I put my files in?.
- What’s the Difference Between Each Method
- How to Upload a File through File Manager
- How to Upload With FTP using FileZilla
- Using a program like Notepad++
What’s the Difference Between Each Method
There are reasons why a developer would use File Manager, FileZilla, or Notepad++. The following will explain why you would pick one method or the other.
File Manager (browser based): The cPanel File manager is good to use when you are away form your computer and you can access a browser. The File Manager can be accessed from any location. This eliminates the need to install a desktop application like FileZilla or Notepad++.
FileZilla (FTP): FileZilla is good to use for uploading files because it works over port 21 and can upload mass amounts of files all at once.
Notepad++ (Code Editor): Using Notepad++ is a way to upload files while you create the content for them. Notepad++ is similar to DreamWeaver in that you can edit files and upload them through the same interface. This eliminates the need to have an HTML editor and a FTP program at the same time.
How to Upload a File through File Manager
- Login into your cPanel.
- Click the File Manager button in the Files section.
- Navigate to the directory you want to upload a file to and click the Upload link at the top of the File Manager. This will open an upload page in a new tab.
- Drag and drop your file into the window, or click Select File to browse your computer for the file you want to upload. Check the available box if you want to overwrite files that already exist in the upload folder. Your file will then upload. You will see a “100%” message when the upload completes.
- Click the Go Back link to return to the File Manager.
- Refresh your File Manager by clicking the Reload link at the top middle of the File Manager. You should then see the file listed in the File Manager.
How to Upload With FTP using FileZilla
FileZilla has the ability to upload files from your computer to your server with us. The left side is the” Local Site” and the right is the “Remote Site“. The “Local Site” is your where your computer files are located. The “Remote Site” is the location of the files on the server. Below is how to upload a file using FileZilla.
- Connect to your server with FileZilla.
- Navigate your files in the third window on the left underneath the “Local Site:” box where its says”Filename“.
The window to the right of it is the “Remote Site” directory. Navigate to the folder where you want to upload the file/folder to in the “Filename” window underneath the “Remote Site” window.
Drag the file you want to upload to the server from the “Local Site” to the “Remote Site“. The file will upload and you will see the file in the list of files in the directory where you dragged the file to.
Using a program like Notepad++
Notepad++ is a program that allows you to edit your site and upload files on the server. It is similar to HTML editor programs like Edit Plus or DreamWeaver. Below will explain how to create a file on your server with Notepad++.
- Connect to your server with Notepad++.
- In the NppFTP window on the right side of Notepad++, navigate to the folder you want to upload a file to. Right-click the folder and select “Upload other file here. . .“.
- Browse the server for the file you want to upload.
- Select the file and click Open.
Now, you will see the file in the folder location on the server.
To see other articles available on how to manage your files, please see our related article: How to manage your files on your server?
Learn more about server management from our Shared Hosting Product Guide.
Enjoy high-performance, lightning-fast servers with increased security and maximum up-time with our Managed VPS Hosting!